Mastercool Evaporative Coolers
Mastercool Evaporative Coolers
Most people refer to Rigid Media Coolers as Mastercool Evaporative Coolers. Mastercool is a manufacturer brand name. Think about how most of us refer to petroleum jelly as Vaseline.
Mastercool evaporative coolers use one rigid media pad that is either 8″ or 12″ thick depending on the model chosen. Aspen pad evaporative coolers use pads on three or four sides that are only 2″ thick. There are two main advantages to rigid media found in Mastercool evaporative coolers.
- Less maintenance required. Unlike aspen pads which need to be replaced annually, Rigid media pads aka Cel-Dek pads typically will last about five years before needing replacement.
- Better cooling capability. The thicker media and solid sides of a Mastercool evaporative cooler result in lower temperature air entering the home. This is a result of better evaporation.
What Size Evaporative Cooler Do I Need?
Unlike determining the proper size air conditioner needed for a home or building, figuring out what size Mastercool evaporative cooler you need is very easy.
Swamp coolers are measured in CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute). In other words, how many CFM of air the unit is capable of moving (blowing into the home). Understanding how many CFM are needed for your home is something most people can easily determine themselves.
- Measure your home or buildings total square footage.
- Measure your ceiling height. (If you have different ceiling heights use the average).
- Multiply the total square footage by the ceiling height.
- Divide the number you determined in step to by two (2).
Find an evaporative cooler with a CFM rating close to the number you arrive at in step 4*
Example: A 1,500 square-foot building with 8-foot ceilings.
1,500 x 8 = 12,000
12,000 / 2 = 6,000
In this scenario a 6,000 CFM cooler will do the job*.
*It’s a good practice to add 15-20% for applications where there are a lot of occupants in the home or where there are other heat generating appliances. In the example above, Magic Touch Mechanical would typically recommend a 6,500 to 7,200 CFM Evaporative Cooler.
How Much Does a Mastercool Evaporative Cooler Cost?
People are often surprised by the price to install a Mastercool evaporative cooler. Because stores like Home Depot and Lowes sell Mastercool evap coolers most people think they can have one professionally installed for $2,500 to $3,500 – not so.
What people don’t realize about those coolers in the big box stores is they are selling just the cabinet. They don’t even include the motor or drain pumps. Not including the labor or crane needed, a professional installation of a Mastercool evaporative cooler should include; motors, sheaves, pulleys, belts, drain pumps, thermostat, thermostat wiring, roof jacks, stands or leg-kits, barometric dampers, drain lines, roofing tar or sealant, and much more.
The average Mastercool evaporative cooler cost professionally installed will typically range between $5,000 and $7,000*.
*Depending on brand, size, type, and individual application.