May 2nd, 2016
When we hit the mid 90’s in the Phoenix, AZ area a few weeks ago, it felt as if the summer weather had already arrived—but of course, it’s really only just getting started! You’ve certainly been relying on your home’s air conditioning system already (we’ve had our air conditioner running for weeks at our offices located in Mesa), but we have yet to experience the extreme heat that really puts our central cooling units to the test.
April 25th, 2016
The hot weather is already here in Phoenix, and your air conditioner is probably hard at work keeping your family comfortable during the day and sometimes into the night. We hope that you’ve already had your annual inspection and tune-up for your cooling system. (If you haven’t, contact us right away to sign up for our maintenance program.)
April 22nd, 2016
Today being Earth Day, we thought we would share a few ways you can help Mother Earth and your wallet at the same time.
Magic Touch Mechanical has been installing energy efficient central air conditioners and heating systems in the Phoenix, AZ area for almost twenty years now, but what you may not know is we’re also a “home performance contractor” and have been for the last fifteen of those twenty years.
Most people have no idea what that home performance means so let’s explain: In a nutshell, we take a holistic or “whole home” approach when evaluating the efficiency, comfort, safety, and air quality of a home or building. We consider how things like duct leakage, missing attic and wall insulation, and building air infiltration lead to energy waste.
As we conduct over 1000 home energy efficiency audits and commercial building energy consumption surveys annually, so we know a thing or two about energy efficiency and the carbon footprints of Arizona homes and buildings.
Here ‘s a list of 5 often-overlooked ways to reduce energy waste in your home:
- SEAL THOSE AIR DUCT LEAKS! – The average Phoenix home has about 20% duct leakage. While this causes a multitude of other problems, this post is about energy efficiency, and it’s pretty easy to understand what a huge energy waste this is considering additional air conditioner run time to make up for all that wasted air cooling your attic.
- INSTALL SOLAR SHADE SCREENS – Even with good dual-pane, low-e windows, the effect of heat transfer from relentless Arizona summer sun plays a huge role in heating up your home and making your air conditioner run longer. Shade screens go a long way in blocking that heat transfer, in fact up to 90% of it!
- INSULATE YOUR ATTIC – The majority of home energy audits we conduct every year find most Phoenix homes are well below the Department of Energy’s recommendation of having a minimum of R-30 insulation in the attic. Gravity, the cable guy crawling around up there, even wind shear, can cause insulation values to diminish over time.
- SHUT OFF THAT ATTIC FAN! – Attic fans are great, if and only if, your air ducts are properly sealed and your home has a good air seal between the conditioned space and the attic. Often times we find attic fans installed by homeowners and contractors that are actually the cause of energy waste! Fans can increase duct leaks and suck conditioned air right out of a home.
- CLEAN YOUR AC COILS – Plugged up air conditioner coils (both condenser coils outside and evaporator coils inside) will cause your air conditioner to work harder and decrease efficiency by as much as 50%. If you don’t know how to do it yourself, call a licensed air conditioning contractor semi-annually to inspect your AC and Heating unit and clean your coils whenever necessary.
If you live in the Phoenix area and would like a Certified Building Analyst to conduct an energy audit on your home, call Magic Touch Mechanical today and we’ll tell you how you can reduce your power bill for as little as $99.00
Happy Earth Day!
April 18th, 2016
If you’ve noticed that your home’s HVAC system, both the heater and the air conditioner, are costing much more to run than before, one of the likely causes is a loss of integrity inside the ducts of the ventilation system. When you’re suspicious of leaky air ducts, you should arrange for duct testing services from HVAC professionals, who will then find out if you need to have the ducts sealed to restore their air tightness.
April 11th, 2016
Arizona residents are no strangers to the heat of summer. In addition to ensuring you’re well equipped with a high-efficiency, functioning air conditioner, you likely are looking for ways to save even more energy and thus save money. Your HVAC costs can actually account for about half of all your energy costs, so this is only natural. That being said, have you considered installing solar shade screen? Continue Reading
April 4th, 2016
We sometimes hear this question from curious customers, and it’s a good one to ask. It shows us that our customers care about the equipment in their homes and want to see that they perform at their best. By scheduling air conditioning maintenance during the spring to prepare for summer, you’re already making one of the best choices when it comes to seeing that your HVAC system enjoys a long life.
March 28th, 2016
Spring brings with it warmer weather (warmer than our already mild winters, at least). It also brings with it an increase in allergens in the air. As soon as the temperature remains consistently high for 3 to 4 days, which usually doesn’t happen until April but started early this year, the pollen count in the air rises steeply. This can make life unpleasant even for people with modest allergies.
March 21st, 2016
As temperatures start to climb toward the highs of summer, you’ll put more and more pressure on your air conditioning system. It’s important during this early part of the long air conditioning season that you watch for indications that the AC is suffering from problems. Start off by scheduling maintenance from professionals so they can catch repairs that must be completed before the summer. But you’ll still need to keep an eye out for some of the more common issues that ACs can run into because of all the work they need to do. Continue Reading
March 14th, 2016
When you live in a climate such as ours, going without air conditioning is unthinkable. To achieve energy savings, many homeowners try to hold off on using their AC as long as possible. But with weather already in the 80s, you won’t be able to do this much longer. Plus, there are better ways to save energy, and money, without sacrificing your comfort. We’ve shared a few tips below on how to keep your bills and energy consumption as low as possible. Continue Reading
March 7th, 2016
Last week, we talked about when it’s time to replace your AC. This is one of the most important decisions you can make in a place that gets as sweltering hot as central Arizona, since you’ll depend on a cooling system almost every day during the middle of the year.